The Kurunegala Municipal Council was previously governed by the UPFA (United Peoples Freedom Alliance), constituting 08 members of the UPFA (United Peoples Freedom Alliance) and 04 members of the UNP (United National Party).
The Mayor (Former)
Mr. Gamini Peramunage
The previosu Mayor of the Kurunegala Municipal Council was Mr. Gamini Peramunage representing the UPFA (United People's Freedom Alliance) party.
Members of the Council
Under the previous electoral system, the municipal council comprised of 12 seats covering the 12 wards of the city. The Mayor was appointed either by preferential votes or by nomination.
Members of the Council: 2012 Local Government Elections
- Honourable Mayor: Hon. A. G. Peramunage (UPFA)
- Deputy Mayor: Hon. G. H. Nimal Chandrasiri de Silva
- Council Members:
- Kamal N. Gunasinghe (UPFA)
- Abdul Sattar (UPFA)
- Sumith Kumara Udawasalage (UPFA)
- B. W. Chularathne Chandra Mendis (UPFA)
- Thushara Sanjeewa Witharana (UPFA)
- K. Thyagarajah (UPFA)
- A. M. Waruna G. Premarathne (UNP)
- B. T. B. Ellepola (UNP)
- I. T. B. Jayawardhana (UNP)
- T. M. F. Kichilan (UNP)
The Kurunegala town hall is a majestic building sitting at the foot of the Elephant rock. The town hall is the main chambre of the municipal council.